What's the idea?
I like to amaze people with riddles and small wonders. My favourite approach is to establish little miracles that can only be noticed by people that observe the world carefully (its not for the 7x24 smartphone viewers). A long term vision was doing this with christmas decoration lights that change their pattern or picture without attracting attention by blinking or fast changing colors.
People should see the picture in the window and next time they come by will see another picture. They may wonder if they remembered it correctly or they might think that the guy behind the window changes it manually every day. Only if they watch long enough they will see, how the pattern of light evolves slowly from one picture to another. Maybe they get curious enough to wait, what picture will come next and if they have seen them all.
Since there is no programmable christmas light chain in the stores, I have built my own.
- Easy maintainable programming of the light patterns
- Picture is described on a logical lamp arrangemant. Translation to physical arrangement on the window is done at runtime.
- Colorpalette helps to keep colors conistent an save memory.
- Pixels can be distributed over multiple chains but appear in a linear adressspace
- Random transformation order and timing of the pixels
- Asynchronous and overlapping transformation of the pixels
- Random hold time for one picture
- Testmodes to check: correct lamp placement, pictures, electrical function of whole chain
Main assembly steps in pictures