This project was created in an attempt to see how I could implement the latest technology for home automation using different components and an Arduino Mega 2560 development board.
Also, I wanted to see how I can communicate with some of the devices installed in this project from the distance using ESP32 development board, which is needed to control and monitor some parts of the home using WiFi and an application called Blynk.
This project consists of two parts. First is the part where most of my sensors are controlled by Arduino Mega 2560, and the second is where I monitor and control other components using ESP32 board and Blynk app over WiFi.
The components that are connected to the Arduino Mega 2560 board are:
· MQ5 gas sensor: used to detect gas leakage in the house;
· Buzzer: to alert uswhen we there is a gas leakage, a flooding, or a fire inside house;
· Water sensor: used to detect any water leakage in the bathroom;
· Fan or a 5V DC motor: used as a fan to reduce the temperature inside the house;
· DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor: used to monitor the temperature and humidity inside the house;
· Flame sensor: used to detect a fire inside the house;
· PIR sensor: used to detect movement inside the house;
· Light sensor: used to detect the level of light inside the house;
· LED: used to make light inside the house when is dark;
· 16x2 LCD with I2C interface: used to show some messages;
· RFID: used to open or close the entrance door, depending on the access level of the user;
· MG90 S servo motor: used to open the entrance door, if a valid access card is used near the RFID.
The components that are connected to ESP32 development board are:
· DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor: used to monitor the temperature and humidity inside the house, and to send all that data to Blynk application installed on our phone, to see in real-time using WiFi, what the temperature and humidity is inside the house;
· MG90 S servo motor: used to open the garage door from the distance with Blynk app;
· Fan or a 5V DC motor: used to reduce the temperature inside the house at a push of a button using Blynk app.
All the parts required can be bought online from different companies.
Blynk app is free to use for a certain number of devices, here is the link for more information: https://blynk.io.
With the help of Arduino Mega 2560 board, I have built the following applications:
1. Application to detect a gas leakage using MQ 5 gas sensor and the buzzer.
2. Application to detect a flooding inthe bathroom using water sensor module and the buzzer.
3. Application to maintain a certaintemperature inside the house using DHT22 sensor and a 5V dc motor.
4. Application to detect fire insidethe house using infrared sensor (fire sensor module), and a buzzer.
5. Application to turn on the lights inside the house automatically if there is movement detected and is dark inside the house, using PIR sensor, and a light sensor.
6. Application to have access insidethe house using an RFID module, 16x2 LCD module with i2c interface and an MG 90 S servo motor.
Using ESP 32 development board I havebuild the following applications:
1. Application to see the temperatureand humidity on the phone using DHT22 sensor and Blynk app;
2. Application to control the garagedoor from the phone using MG 90 S servo motor and Blynk app;
3. Application to control the fan in my case de 5v dc motor, using 5v dc motor and Blynk app.
Using all these applications, anyone can build a smart home to make their life better and more comfortable.
In the image above, there is the RFID access point. Above that is an 16x2 LCD with blue backlight, a front door and a garage door, both are controlled using a servo motor.
In fig.2 there is a top view of some of the sensors installed in this project.
In fig.5, you can see the temperature and humidity being measured in real-time, receiveing data from the DHT22 sensor, and below there is a button for a fan called “CLIMA” and a slider button for the garage door.
All of the components used with Blynk app help us to monitor and control the house from any place as long as we are connected to the internet.