The fan on the Materia 101 is located on the front of the x carriage. It’s a standard 40x40x10 mm fan and it has no duct. The trouble with this is that the fan itself is not focused enough and it left me results inconsistent depending on which side of the object was facing the fan. The side facing the fan looked good but the other side was deforming.2. The new setup
In the configuration we are suggesting here, we add a bigger fan and a duct.
By adding a duct you get a narrow beam of air. This will cause less drooping and warping, by cooling the material faster while it is being laid out. I found the duct shown in the picture below made by Alessandro Damiani on thingiverse and it seemed to do the trick.3. Changing the bracket to fit the Materia 101
However Alessandro's design was made for the Sharebot NG which has a slightly different x-carriage, therefore. I changed the angle of the fastening angle bracket. You can download the changed STL here.4. Replacing the fan (BIGGER IS BETTER)
I exchanged the existing fan (40x40x10 mm) with a thicker fan (40x40x20 mm). The airflow was slightly more powerful than the old fan and it did improve my prints.5. The results
Here is a comparison picture. On object number 2 I used the original fan setup and on number 1 used my modified fan setup. As you can see, the amount of defects is much reduced in object number 1.6. The only drawback
The old fan did not interfere with the clamps on the glass print surface, the added duct does this, if ever so slightly. If you don’t need to use the entire print surface, you won’t notice this.